Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Actem

Friday was ACTEM day! It was a successful day overall despite the inclement weather.

Session 1: I went to Collaboration and Communication by Way of Moodle. I have heard about Moodle for the last 2 years but had never worked with it or been educated about it. I could not BELIEVE all of the things folks said it could do! I was amazed. Everything from tests to quizzes, or discussions to chats can be done with this. Sadly, the server was down for the entire session so we never got into it but we at least were able to talk about it's potential if used in a classroom.

Session 2: I went to Comic Life, Serious Tool. Well, I can definitely see it's potential in either LA or Social Studies. Bob literally flew through stuff, the screen was fuzzy, the room was full, the server was down but I still enjoyed the neat things he showed us. It reminded me of when I used to teach students about Rebuses in Social Studies and had them create one of their own. This would be a perfect vehicle for students to use to complete and assignment of that type.

Session3: I tried to get into 2 other sessions before ending up in EZ Data Studio. I was terrifically happy to have ended up in this session for 2 reasons. First being that it was hosted by Phil Brookhouse who is always so very interesting and fun to be around. Second, there were only 2 of us who showed up so we got to have a blast! He showed us how to use Data studio for kids to learn the components of graphing. We were able to create our own graph using a sound monitor to detail distance and speed.

2 comments:

Scott said...

This is a great blog, lots of great information. How do you think that you are going to use this in the classroom? How can using these new tools be used to inspire your peers? I'm curious as to whether you have to have the probes in order to use some of DataStudio's tools?

Laura said...

No,I don't have any of the probes needed to use DS tools.